Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Plants and Happy thoughts


The other day I was working with a coworker on a big project. Other than some initial checking of email and voice mail in the morning, I was pretty much in his office all day and wasn't spending any time in my office. The project we were working on just didn't want to come together. So we were both pretty stressed out. Towards the end of the day, I finally decided that we were going to have to take a break from that project and get back to it first thing in the morning.
So I headed back to my office to again check email and voicemail, and to wrap things up so I could head home. As soon as I entered my office, I felt so much less stressed and more relaxed. It's not that my office is really any nicer than his. It has the same basic decor of his office. Same carpet, same color walls, even the same door. And it isn't that I was relieved to get away from the project we had been working on all day. I knew I was going right back to it in the morning. If anything I was actually dreading getting back to my desk knowing that things would have piled up in my email while I was away from it all day.
The only real difference between our offices, is the plants. I've filled my office with live plants, and it makes such a difference. Just having green living things around seems to ease away stress and frustration. I've done the same for my house, putting plants all over the living and dining area. It really makes a big difference.

2 comments:

J-Wag said...

you also have other nice personal touches in your office that other people don't

Jamie Barrows said...

True, but I think the plants are what gives me that calming feeling.