Friday, June 1, 2007

Motivation: What motivates you?


Recently I've been thinking a lot about motivation. What motivates you to do the things you do? Specifically what motivates you at your job? Is it money? Recognition? Perks? The work itself? What exactly makes you get up every morning and go to your job?
You say, that's easy. I get paid to work there, and I wouldn't go if they didn't pay me. And that's true. None of us would go to work if we weren't getting paid. After all, we all have bills to pay and we need to eat. But that isn't the whole picture either.

So aside from being able to pay bills, why your current job over some other job? When you are at work, what makes you more eager to do certain jobs, rather than other jobs? What makes you feel satisfied with the work you are doing?

Everyone has different things that motivate them. For some, the motivation is money. They work harder in anticipation of bonuses and pay raises. For others, work needs to challenge them. If it doesn't challenge their abilities, then it becomes a drag. They always need to be learning or trying something new. For still others, it's the work environment. Interacting with their fellow coworkers and customers makes them feel alive and excites them. Some people, like my brother, need for things to be a competition. They have to be the best, and will work as hard as they have to in their job to "be the best."

For me, it's not any of the reasons I listed above. Sure, money is important, and it's nice to have a challenge. And who doesn't want to be the best? But for me it's responsibility. I need to be "needed." Knowing that people are depending on me pushes me to work harder. I have to know that people are counting on me to be there on time, and to get things done on schedule. It's having people come to me for help and assistance, that really motivates me to try harder and do a good job.

So I ask again, What motivates you?

By the way, the picture above is from Despair.com They have a lot of other un-motivational posters and calendars that are pretty funny.

No comments: